Monday, August 31, 2015

King Neptune

May 24, 1953

Triumph of Neptune standing on a chariot pulled by two sea horses
(Latin: 
hippocampes). Mosaïque d'Hadrumète (Sousse)
 the mid-third century AD. Musée archéologique de Sousse.
Hi Darling,

Today has been a rough one for me. I've been sightseeing. HA  We snapped some pictures and must have walked 20 miles.

That wasn't all I did. I mailed you a bed jacket. I don't know how long it will take to get there, probably 4 weeks. I bought it and had no place to put it on the ship, so I had to take a chance on the Japanese mailing service. I hope it gets there alright.

I bought a set of fishing tackle and sent it along. You can stick it back in the closet 'til I get home, or if you like to fish, use it.

If your "Pop" likes to fish, he can give it a dip.

"Boy," it sure has been hot the last couple of days. I guess I shouldn't complain after last winter's cold. Oh well, we won't be here much longer. Only about 5 or 6 more days to operate, then homeward bound. And just think, only nineteen more months to do in this outfit. 

This subject of "King Neptune" is getting to be a "short-timer." 

The way I figure it, if everything goes right, I'll have time to pull one cruise around Europe, then I'll be getting out. We are all looking forward to our European cruise. We have seen so much of the Orient, we are ready for a change. 

My time is up January 14th '55, but I'm hoping to get out just before Christmas of '54, if they see things my way.

Also, we will be in dry-dock in Norfolk this Christmas and, if I can get as much as 72 hours liberty, I'll come home. 

Honey, I'm running out of things to talk about, so I'll sign off for now.

Over and out.

Answer soon.

I love you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...