Saturday, August 1, 2015

Stacking BBs With Boxing Gloves

June 2 1952
Sea of Japan

Bowling was a popular sport in the 50s
Hi Norm,

How's my baby? I'm O.K. 

I received your letter today and was real happy to hear from you. Also, I was happy to get the paper clippings. They are about the only way I can up with the baseball [season] over here.

I hear the scores once in a while on the radio, but they never give any details.

I feel pretty good today. We didn't have to get up until noon.

And we don't have anything to do this afternoon. It's refueling day, in case you haven't guessed.

But for the last 72 hours up to midnight last night, we had had eight hours sleep. 

We only have 8 more days to go out here, then it's all over and we can head for home. And right now I think I could do eight days stacking BBs with boxing gloves on.  

You like just about everything I do, except bowling. I don't care for it in the summer, but it's a good winter sport, especially for a climate like Detroit has.

We went up around Manchuria last week to pick up some Marine flyers who were down behind enemy lines and was it cold up there, about like home in March. But we got the "jarheads" (Marines). They were a little cold and wet, but otherwise O.K.

Now we're back down south again where it's warmer.

Norm, I can't think of anything else to write, so I'll sign off for this time. 

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...