Friday, August 21, 2015

Baby-san

March 2, 1953
at sea

Postcard featuring The Statler, ca. 1950
Hi Norma,

How's the world treating ya?

Today has been easy for us. We haven't flown a plane off the deck. Bad weather. But no snow, "thank goodness."

That Southern fried chicken at the Statler sounds pretty good. Also the drinks. I sure would like to go to a party like that. It's been a long time since I've been to anything.

I wish I could think of something to write. Last year, everything was new and usually I had something to talk about. But now, it's the same old stuff. 

Also, the pilots this time aren't "hot to go" like last year, so we don't have as many shot down. Also, they are better pilots. That may be the trouble. They are too "damn" good. We haven't had to fight a fire at all this cruise. 

I'm kinda sleepy. We got up this morning at three thirty and I just found out that I have to get up at four tomorrow morning. "Damn," we just can't win for losing.

If that brighter day don't get here pretty soon, I'm gonna quit looking. HA 

A little while ago the Captain got on the public address system and told us we were doing a fine job and that he was proud of us and all that sort of stuff. He said we should get into the States sometime in June, but no one know for sure yet.

Sure the offer to loan my coat still goes, but I had much rather keep you warm with my "Armstrong" heater, O.K? 

You mentioned Doris S______ which reminds me, George S______ should be home this month. 

A lot of the guys should be getting out right away. My two Tennessee buddies should be out soon. You don't know them, they are a couple of guys I grew up with. 

One of them got hit in Korea last year. The other is in Germany. Also, Bob D_____ should just about have his time in.

Excuse the change in [ink] color, but it's the best I can do.

No, I didn't say I wore a 13 sock. I wear 11 1/2. You're thinking of someone else, you know. HA  And the only colors I can wear are white or black.

I read "All The Ships At Sea." It is a good book. It's humorous all the way through. Tell that Lieut. Commander to come on back in. This Navy could use some good officers. 

Well, "baby-san," it's time I was signing off and hitting the hay. 

Answer soon.

All my love,

Jim 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...