Sunday, August 2, 2015

A Lost Calf In A Whirlwind

July 18, 1952
San Diego, Calif.

Bette Ford, an American, had a successful career as a
matador in Mexico during the mid1950s
Hi Norma,

What's cooking, chicken?

Whatta ya know, all my life I've loved baseball and always wanted to meet people concerned with the game and never had a chance, and you who a few months ago didn't know right field from "left out" go into the offices of one of the largest baseball companies in the world and see all the big wigs. Guess I was borned a few years too soon.

[Editor's note: For a woman with a modest demeanor, Norma had remarkable connections. When I was in college, I followed the Detroit Tigers and had a crush on one of the players, Steve Kemp. One Christmas morning, I opened a present "From Santa," to find a pair of ratty, old cleats tied together by the laces. Norma was snapping away on her instamatic and beaming like a madwoman.  "What? Why?" I sputtered as I held the shoes in the air. "They're Steve Kemp's! Merry Christmas!" As it happened, Norma worked with the father of the Tiger's batboy who was told about my crush and fished Kemp's cleats out of the garbage as a souvenir. An autographed baseball was also in the box. One of my favorite Christmas presents ever.]

"Yes," I've heard of Johnny McHale but he was too far before my time. I don't know much about him. 

Last Sunday I went down to Mexico. It was pretty nice down there, but I can't understand a word of Spanish. When I left Japan, with what little "Gook" I know and motions I make, I could get along pretty good as far as language was concerned. But in Mexico, I'm just a "lost calf in a whirlwind." 

Next Sunday, I think I will go back and see the bull fights. 

I heard "Shepherd of My Heart." I really like it but I haven't heard "Full Time Job" as yet. 

Sometimes I wish we were back in Japan again. I kind of like it over there compared to sitting around here in San Diego. I sure do hate this place. 

You said Doris's being pregnant was becoming to her. That's the first time I ever heard that. It is probably true. It's just that I never thought about it that way. And if I remember right, Doris would be beautiful in any condition. 

We had another example of why men shouldn't be married in the service "come home to roost" today. One of the guys who went home the first day in port came back and told us his wife had been living with another guy. He didn't seem to give a "damn," but I think he was "acting," because he must have loved her. He was one of the few married men in our division who didn't go out with women in Japan. He sent all of him money home and stay aboard the ship most of the time.

I knew his wife. I met her in Seattle last summer. She seemed like a pretty nice gal. "Boy," it will be a cold day in "hell" when I marry while I'm in this outfit. 

And I guess the worst of it is, they have two kids. 

Well, honey, I've run out of stationery, so I'm forced to quit.

Answer soon.

Love, 

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...