Saturday, August 1, 2015

Bikinis Are Second Choice

July 5, 1952
San Diego, Calif.

Norma's senior picture, ca. 1949,
found in Jim's wallet after his death in 2000
Hi Norma,

Got two letters yesterday and was glad to hear from you.

The picture was very pretty. I like it very much.

Hey, kid, tell me something to say. I can't think of anything.

We played ball yesterday and got beat 8 to 3. I didn't even get on base. Guess I'm too old for the game.

Two years ago, I would have knocked the ball down the pitcher's throat, he wasn't very good. I guess that 9 months overseas must have slowed me down a bit.

That glamorized pose you were photographed in is pretty nice. 

And if you hadn't told me that was a slip, I would sworn it was a bra. "Yes, sir," I go for those plunging necklines. I think they are the best invention yet. HA And next to them comes bathing suits. (Bikini style, of course.) 

[Editor's note: Well, no surprise here, I can't find snapshots of my mother wearing only her slip in the family photo albums.]

When I'm teaching you to park, you should wear a bathing suit because I think much better when I haven't got my mind on what I'm doing. HA 

I have duty today and can't leave the ship. It sort of gripes me too, I would like to be on the beach (in town, to civilians).

I started this last night there wasn't any use of finishing it because I didn't have any stamps. I got some today.

My buddy and I went over for a while and fooled around. We saw "Captain China" and "Fort Worth." Both were pretty old, but pretty good.  We also bowled 4 games. We didn't do too bad for a couple of guys who hadn't bowled for nine months. My "high" was 171 and his was 173.

I wish Aug. 16 would come soon. I'm sort of anxious to get home. 

It must be real hot back there, out here it is just fine.

I got weighed today for the first time in 9 months and I'm down to 158. I weighted 185 when I left home. Pretty soon, I'll have to bend over to cast a shadow. 

Well, Norm, I've got to sign off. Answer soon.

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...