Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Tokyo Tourist

February 3 [1953]
Japan

Godzilla vs. The Diet Building, ca. 1953
Hi Honey,

I have been thinking of you all day and could think of no better time to write.

We are still in port. I think we will be pulling out Monday. Before I go any further, I want to tell you I went over earlier in the evening and had a few with the boys, so any mistakes I make can be blamed on that.

I went to Tokyo Sunday and, of all things, visited an art gallery. Of course, we did other things. We went to the "Diet" building. The "Diet" is the same thing as our Congress.

We went to the government library and it was beautiful. Also, we saw a Japanese opera. It was pretty good, I guess, but I didn't understand it. Then we wound up the day by doing the more "bawdy" spots in town.

I'm a "hell" of a guy, going off hunting with your uncle and not coming back, but I'm not like that in real life, only in dreams.

[Editor's note: Norma enjoyed recounting the details of her dreams, although she wasn't one for interpreting the symbolism in them, or other practices that are common with dream interpretation. It was almost as if she believed they were missives from something outside herself.]

The weather here is still pretty nice, a lot better than last year.

Don't let your hair be cut too short. I think real short hair makes a girl look "boyish." I like women who are all female.

If you don't know what to do with that second week's vacation you have coming, you can take it when I come home. I know we can find something to do. I still don't know when I'll get home. Probably the last of August.

Our bachelors' club hasn't picked up many members yet, but we're still struggling along. HA 

Speaking of dancing, I learned how to rumba a couple of nights ago. A little, that is. I can't dance much, but I like to try.

[Editor's note: That's news to me. I never saw him on a dance floor in my entire life. Must have been "dutch courage."]

Well, honey, I may as well sign off as I said before, I'm a little under the weather. 

Answer soon.

All my love, 

Jim 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...