Sunday, August 9, 2015

Why Don't You Believe Me?

December 24, 1952
Christmas Eve
Yokosuka, Japan

"Hollywood Goes to the Troops," soldiers at one of
Bob Hope's USO shows, ca. 1952
Hi Norma,

Merry Christmas, honey. I really hope you have a nice Christmas. Wish I could be with you, but that's impossible, so I'll say have a good time all day but think of me once in a while during the day.

The radio is playing Christmas carols now. They are beautiful. This is the only time of the year I like to be home. The other holidays don't mean anything to me, but Christmas always makes me feel homesick.

I suppose it's because of what Christmas stands for.

It looks like you have been having some good church services. I like to hear that, even though I never go to church.

About that box, Norm, it would be nice, of course, but it would be a lot of trouble to you, so don't bother with it.

I've heard "Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes," but I still like "Back Street Affair" better. 

I like "Boogie Woogie Flying Cloud," too. Also, "Why Don't You Believe Me" is my current favorite. 

Last night a bunch of us went out and threw a little party. We had a good time.

I got a little "tight," but not as bad as some of them. A few had to be carried back to the ship.

Tell you what, Norm, I'm gonna send you a snapshot of myself that isn't so good, but it's the best I can produce. HA 

Tell Ed C____ to get well fast, otherwise, he will miss the New Year's celebration!

I've been getting Christmas cards from people I don't even know. I got one from a Mrs. Mark P____. If you know her, thank her for me.

Getting back to Japan, it hasn't changed much. They let military personnel wear civilian clothes now, but I don't have any, so I'll wear the Navy blue.

It isn't too cold over here now. Maybe 40° and no snow at all. I like that.

I guess I had better sign off for this time.

So, answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...