Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Angel Face

March 20, 1953
Hong Kong

Hong Kong SkylinePhoto by DAVID ILIFF. License: CC-BY-SA 3.0
Hi Baby,

How's my sweet little bundle of curves?

I went over on the beach today. It isn't like Japan, the buildings are better and newer, also better kept. The people seem a little better off than the Japanese, but they are a little more obnoxious.

I saw the same blonde-haired girls there (probably British) and, "boy," did they look wonderful. Wish one of them could have been you.

I got your pajamas today, they aren't what you want, but they're all I could find.

I hope you aren't too disappointed in them. I'll mail then when we get back to Japan.

[Editor's note: Norma kept the pajamas in her closet until the day she died. And now her daughter has them.]

March 21, 1953

I was detained. I went to chow last night, then got involved in a card game and couldn't get back.

It is raining here today and kind of chilly, too.

I just saw an excursion boat go by loaded with people. Atop the stack were the letters, H.Y.T. I'm pretty sure it means "Hong Kong Youth Transit," a communist-backed group. It doesn't seem possible that only a few miles from here is "Red" China. They say it is no trouble to pass the guards going in, but they won't let you out. HA 

They are the same people we are fighting in Korea and there is nothing between them and us except a few British soldiers.

You asked how we could get in a trip to N.Y. on my leave. It won't be easy, but I think we could.

I'll have to go down South to see Mom and Dad and my little brother and sister, but I probably won't stay long.

We'll talk about it when I get home.

From the harbor at night, Hong Kong is the most beautiful city I've ever seen.

It's hard to describe it. All those lights look like a big 4th of July celebration. And it's a very clean town outwardly.

Well, "Angel Face," I've got to sign off now.

So answer soon.

I love you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...