Monday, August 3, 2015

Don't Wait Up, Mama

September 16, 1952
San Diego, Calif.

Michigan Central Station, in Detroit,
where Jim would have caught a train heading West
Hi Norma,

How's the kid?

I intended to write sooner, but as soon as I got back, we went out to sea for a week and as soon as we came back in, I transferred me to an atomic defense school. It only lasts one week, so I'll be back on the ship next Saturday.

It is real interesting. I would like to attend it for a couple of months. 

The next time I come home, I'll tell you all about the atom bomb. HA 

I was really tired from the train ride back, but I've almost recuperated now. And almost recuperated from those "heatings" you gave me, too.

Did your father come through his operation, O.K? I hope so.

[Editor's note: Norma's father, Clyde Cornett, had been diagnosed with colon cancer and underwent a successful colostomy, something that was rare when he had the surgery in 1952.] 

Last Thursday, we had a plane "pile up" and a real bad fire. One guy in my division was burned pretty bad getting the pilot out. They say he will be in the hospital from six to eight months. The pilot wasn't hurt very bad, just second degree burns on his face, but our boy had third degree burns from the waist down. The flesh was burned away and hanging loose from him body.

One of my buddies gets discharged tomorrow and we are going out to celebrate. So, "don't wait up, mama. I may be kinda late coming home." HA

Last Sunday, I went to my buddy's house for dinner. Afterwards, we wanted to go to Tijuana to see the bullfights, but his "old lady" wouldn't let us, so we wound up taking her bowling. 

That's married life for you. Not for me, I'm too young and inexperienced. 

Well, I've got to close. 

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...