Friday, August 7, 2015

All My Love

December 17, 1952
Still at sea

Hi Norma,

Here I am again. This trip is getting more boring all the time. Every day we have less to do.

The ship is having troubles. Two days ago one screw went out (that's what drives her through the water). We have four. So, they had to cut one off on the opposite side to keep her on even keel. Now they think another one might go out. If it does, we're dead in the water. 
Map showing the IDL, courtesy of Time and Date.com


And sitting "dead" out in the middle of nowhere isn't the best place I can think of to be.

Oh, well, maybe it won't go out. If it does, there's always a brighter day tomorrow.

We lost Tuesday this week.  We crossed the International Date Line last night and, suddenly, it was Wednesday, but we will pick it up when we come back across.

It still hasn't started to get cold yet. I can't figure it. We should be past Midway Island already. They must be having a warm winter in these parts.

I see my buddy Gerry Lash sitting on his bunk writing his girlfriend. He really must love her. No matter how long we work or how tired he is when we quit flying, he always writes her. Never misses a day. 

I started growing a mustache, but after 5 or 6 days, I shaved it off. I didn't like it. I looked too much like Clark Gable. HA

I had better sign off. It's time to when I start talking about myself. 

Answer real soon.

All my love, 

Jim

[Editor's note: On the front of the envelope Norma wrote, "Dec. 17, 1952 'All my love' first time."]

Click on this link to read the next letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...