Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Nothing But Hard Work

February 14 [1953]
at sea

Valley Forge crew on deck from the 53 Cruise Book,
Hi "honey,"

What's cooking at home, on the home front, that is? 

Mail leaves the ship tomorrow, also comes aboard.

We have been out here about seven days, but already it seems like a long time. I sure will be glad when this cruise is over. I wish I could think of something to say, but my super brain won't function.

We are still having it a little better than last year. We still get up at 2:30 in the morning, but usually knock off around 7:00 or 8:00 in evening instead of 10:00 or 11:00.

Well, it looks like my soft life is over. They are taking me off the Communications job and putting me out on deck driving tractors and stuff life that, but I don't mind. I'm tired of wearing a set of telephones all day.

We sure have been lucky this trip. We haven't had any "pile-ups" at all except for a couple of minor ones. I hope it stays that way. 

Tomorrow I'm going to the library for some more books on salesmanship. I'm gonna be a salesman or "bust." I'll probably "bust," but I really want to be a salesman when I get out.

[Editor's note: Jim did become an insurance salesman when he got out of the Navy, back in the days when they used to go door-to-door and, being naturally chatty, he was successful at it. When I was a teenager and had just finished reading "Death of a Salesman" with images of Willy Loman floating in my brain, I asked him once why on earth he liked selling. For Jim, selling was like playing chess, it was all about strategies.]

The boys are talking about what they are going to do in Hong Kong. Some are going shopping, some are sightseeing, and some others are calling home (Transatlantic). But the rest of them will just be sailors and get drunk. HA  I don't know what I will do. Probably the latter along with the old salts.

Honey, I'm real tired, so I'm gonna sign off. I hope you don't mind me always being tired, but I always am at sea. As some guy said, war isn't romantic to the guy in it; it's nothing but hard work.

Answer soon.

All my love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...