Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Third With Two Paper Clips

[Editor's Note: Norma had a system where she paper clipped the envelopes that held letters of special significance, mainly when she noted a "first" of some kind, but occasionally she put paperclips on envelopes that contained romantic thoughts. The envelope that held this letter had two paperclips.


May 7, 1953
"At Sea"

The DMZ, "The Line"
Hello My Darling,

I have the same old excuse for not writing. I haven't had time. This has been the toughest period on the line this cruise. 

We have flown those damn planes 'til I can't understand how they still have wings left and I've sat on my tractor so much I have "housemaid's knee" on my bottom. 

But my troubles aren't yours, so I'll shut up. But sometimes I get so fed up with this outfit, I could jump overside. 

Honey, we got an extension over here, but it's only nine days, so it won't make any difference. Last year, it was six weeks, so I guess we are lucky this time.

Norma, you're a little doll. I was looking over some of your letters I haven't answered yet and you haven't missed a day writing to me in a long time even if I don't write. Every time I get a letter, I love you a little more. I love you, darling, and if you will let me, I'll tell you how much when I come home.

The sundress you bought looks pretty nice. You will wear it for me won't you, when I get home?

If you want to, doll, we will go over to our park every night. Only I'm afraid it will be autumn before I can get leave. I know it won't be until September and probably will be October. If you want to and can, you could come to Norfolk or wherever the ship goes in dry dock. I would like for you to be the first person I see when I hit the States. It's just a suggestion. I don't know if you would like to make the trip or not.

[Editor's Note: When I was a kid, one of Jim's nicknames for Norma was "Go Parker," because she never turned down a chance to go anywhere, so my guess is that Norma would have made every effort to meet the ship when it got to the States. But we'll have to see what happened as the letters unfold.]

This was supposed to be our last tour on the line, but since we got extended, we have to come out one more time, but for only six days.

You asked what position I play on the baseball team. This year, I'm playing outfield but some pretty good third baseman done joined the Navy to beat the draft and got stationed on the Valley Forge and he beat me out of my job. HA  We have a better team this year. I doubt if I will be able to hang on to my outfield job.

"Oh," I almost forgot, we won the first game, 8 to 5.

You're right, "glory bars" and campaign ribbons are the same thing. 

The cartoon was O.K., but I still like my own idea. I hide the keys in my shoe and tell you I lost them.

[Editor's Note: Huh. I never tried that shoe thing. Keys must have held a fashion for the Parkers because Jim wrote about them when he and Norma sold their house in Dearborn. Click on this link for his letter to the buyer and my story behind letter.]

Sweet thing, I've got to sign off now and hit the sack. 

Answer soon.

I love you, honey,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...