Monday, August 31, 2015

Letter Of The Heart

[Editor's Note: On the front of the envelope Norma wrote, Letter of May 23, 1953, of the heart]


May 23, 1953
Valley Forge

Jim's stationery, May 1953
Hi Sweet Thing,

What's new with you? We are in port again, but not for long. We pull out the day after tomorrow. We will only operate 6 or 7 more days, then shove off for stateside. I think we leave Japan the twelfth of June.  Or maybe, the ninth. I don't know for sure. Anyway, we arrive in San Diego the 26th of June.

It was been raining here all day and is hot and "stuffy." Reminds me of Honolulu, which I don't like to be reminded of.  

I finally got to hear the song, "'Til I Waltz Again With You."  and is it beautiful.  A sixteen year old Japanese girl sang it and she is almost as good as Doris Day. 

Our relief carrier should pull in tomorrow. I hope so. I want to see her drop anchor. HA 

My buddy and I pulled one last night. We got so "high," we couldn't hit the ground if we had jumped out of an airplane. I think I've stopped drinking for sure.

Honey, I have a set of jackets, Japanese style. They are blue with white symbols on the back. Also, I bought a bed spread. It was so pretty I couldn't resist it. Also I have bought you a housecoat. It's pretty, I think. These damn mailing facilities here are so bad, I'm afraid to send them that way. I think I'll wait 'til I hit the States. I'm still looking for a pair of quilted pajamas, but no luck so far.

[Editor's Note: I vaguely remember blue silk bomber jackets that were hanging in the closet when I was a kid. I imagine both the jackets were worn out and are long gone. But the housecoat and the bedspread, along with a pair of black silk pajamas, are locked away in storage.]

"Ah," incidentally, the bedspread is for your mother for helping you fix those packages you sent to me.

So, the Valley Forge is making the papers, eh? Well, it's about time we got some publicity.

After all, aren't we the best ship in the fleet? Of course we are. HA 

If your boss knew you compared her running to the phone to a cow running in the pasture, you would probably get "deep-sixed." You better start being careful. HA 

Damn, it's so hot in this place my watch stopped telling time and started giving the temperature.

You should see the cherry trees here. This place is beautiful in the spring. With everything getting green and the kids playing in the streets, it reminds me of home. It also makes me think how basically the people of every country are the same. The kids want a place to play, a move to go to, or something to keep them busy all the time.

The adults want security, a job with a decent living, but most of all, the Japanese want to be left alone. Nothing would please them better than to pull all U.S. forces out of the Orient.  And I don't blame them. In their place, I would feel the same way.

I got carried away there for a minute. It happens to me sometimes.

Norma, I've been sitting here thinking about things. About getting married, for one thing. You told me once that I was blunt. Well, maybe I am. I don't like to waste words. Anyway, I don't want to get married anytime soon. First, I want to be able to see my way to a good future for my wife and any children we might have. Don't misunderstand, this isn't a proposal. I want to be with you when I do. 

I want to know if you will wait for me until I get out of the service and maybe a while after. 'Til I can get "back on my feet." I know I will have to re-inhabit myself to civilian life. It won't be easy. I picked up a lot of habits that will be hard to get rid of, but with them, I wouldn't make a decent husband for any girl, especially one like you. I love you, darling, and with you, I think I could be a "damn" good civilian some day.

I gotta sign off and hit the sack. It has taken half the night to write this letter.

Answer soon.

All my love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...