Friday, August 28, 2015

The Cherry Blossoms Are In Bloom Again

April 17, 1953
Yokosuka Japan

The grounds of the Hirosaki Castle in the Aomori Prefecture
have more than 50 varieties of cherry trees.
Hi Sweet Thing,

This is "newsman" Parker with more news and views from The Far East. HA 

Today at 1:00, we practiced baseball again and I have a "charley horse" and a splintered ankle to show for it. Tomorrow afternoon we are supposed to play a game against some other team. By then, I probably won't be able to move. HA 

It won't be long now. This cruise is about over. We leave here day after tomorrow for our last time on the line. I don't know exactly when we leave here for State side. Probably in five or six weeks.

I like that suggestion about a job with the fire department when I get out. In fact, I've thought about trying my luck at one of the airports in town. I'm almost certain the law requires them to have their own fire fighters and by now I should be an experienced crash fire fighter. HA I've run from enough of the "damn" things, I should know plenty about them. HA And I know a little about how a control tower works, but not very much.

Everywhere I go over here I see cherry trees in bloom. Even the taxis here have cherry blossoms pinned up all over the inside of them. 

Two of my buddies and myself went over a couple of nights.  Interesting to pull a nice, clean liberty and get back to the ship early.

The other two guys are both married, so I thought they would keep me out of trouble.

But I was wrong. They wanted to go to a night spot. So, I tagged along and before long we are getting with it and everybody is having a good time. I held up under the strain better than I expected. They didn't even have to carry me back to the ship. 

Josh and I were just talking about the "glory" bars we will wear when we get on the East Coast. They should help out over there, but on the West Coast, everybody has them, so they don't mean anything.

But over there, we'll try to show up those inland griping "sailors." HA 

I'm glad you like to write to me, honey. I know you don't like to write them any better than I like to read them. Norma, you're a sweet little doll and don't let anyone tell you different.

I really should sign off but I don't want to. I want to write a long letter.

I've sat here for ten minutes (by my watch) and can't think of anything else, so I'll close.

Answer soon.

All my love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...