Friday, August 28, 2015

Riding Around In Circles

April 14, 1953
Yokosuka, Japan

Post card of rickshaw drivers in
Yokohama, Japan, date unknown
Hello Doll, 

How is my baby? Honey, two days ago I got an eighteen page letter from you. This is the first chance I've had to answer it. We just hit port yesterday.

It may take me all night, but I like letters like it and don't mind taking a lot of time in answering.

I was over a while last night and "got with it" a bit, but I didn't stay long. I was back aboard ship by eleven.

Today we held our first baseball practice. The team won't be as good as it was last year. Too many men getting discharged.

You asked about Lash*. Well, I'll tell you what I know about him. He's 23 and comes from Washington State. He's about 5'10 and weighs about 190, but he isn't fat. There is a lot of muscle on him. HA 

And when he gets out, he plans to go back to dairy farming.

[* Editor's Note: As complained previously, Jim's handwriting is just awful. "Lash" is my best guess at this friend's name. It could also be "Jash" or "Losh" or "Tosh" because Jim had a habit of giving people nicknames and some weren't common words, but derivatives of names, words or phrases.]

Last night, some Jap gave my buddy and me a card advertising a massage parlor in Yokohama. We didn't notice the Yokohama and thinking it was Yokosuka, we got a cab, gave him the card with the address in Japanese on it and started out for a massage. We got about halfway to Yokohama and we decided we had better ask him how far it was. Then he showed us the name on the card. We were so "shook up," we had him turn around and take us back to Yokosuka. In all, it cost us about five dollars just to ride around in circles.

I was sorry to hear you couldn't take the job with the doctor. It sounded pretty good, but you know what is best for you.

Thanks, darling, for the birthday cards. You are always doing something for me and I don't want you to think it is not appreciated. It is, honey, very much.

A guy just came by selling raffle tickets on an electric razor. I took three, maybe I'll win it so I can shave. HA 

I'm about to run out of anything to answer but I'll keep trying. I'm in the writing mood tonight.

I suppose Eddy's and Dot's wedding was quite a blow out. In Japan, they would say an "ichi-ban" affair. Congratulate them for me and wish all their troubles will be small, or something like that.

There is a guy in my division from Detroit who is getting married when we get home. I told him I wanted to come over to help him drink his whiskey and if he wasn't going to furnish it, I would bring my own. He said for me to bring my own and he would help me drink it. Not what I would call a charming host. HA 

One of the guys just brought me a sandwich and a pint of milk from the beach. It sure is good, want a bite?

Well, sweet thing, I gotta sign off for now.

Answer soon.

I love you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...