Monday, August 10, 2015

War In A Cold Climate

December 30, 1952

Debbie Reynolds, '53 Pin Up Girl
Hi angel,

I haven't heard from you in quite a while, but I'll try to write anyway.

We are on our way from Japan to Korea, but we only have twenty days out this time as compared to forty-five last year.

I'm glad to get out there and get it all over. I'm tired of this kind of duty. I want some of that shore duty they talk about at requesting stations. HA  Not that I'll ever get it, but I can dream, can't I?

I guess it's about time for L.C. P_______, George S______, and all those other guys who got drafted when they did to get out, isn't it? I'm glad to see them get out. I know what it's like.

I hope maybe if I can get through this one, they won't send me back anymore.  

I never have been able to understand why this "damn" country can't start wars in warm climates. If the next one is in a cold country, I'll refuse to go. HA 

It's probably real cold in Detroit now, too, but I hope it isn't too bad.

Are you going to have a big blow-out New Year's? I guess I won't be able to do any bottle popping after all. Oh, well, I'll celebrate when we hit port again.

Tomorrow, we are going to fly some to get the pilots used to the cold weather and the lay of the country. Our first strikes will be about the 3rd or 4th of January. 

Well, kid, I might as well sign off. I can't think of anything to say. 

Answer soon.

All my love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...