Saturday, August 8, 2015

Drink Coffee, Smoke Cigarettes, Tell Lies

December 19
Friday night
in Detroit it's Thursday morning

"Steel Beach Party," sailors working on their tans on deck
[possibly on the USS Philippine Sea]
during down time, ca. 1952
Hi "Sweet Thing,"

We are still moving on two screws but it is painfully slow. But if we don't have anymore trouble, we should still make Yokosuka on schedule. 

A diver will go down there to find out what is wrong. If it is very serious, we will have to go into dry-dock to fix it. That suits me. I like dry dock duty.

It's still dull out here. All we do is drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, and tell lies. If I could remember all the sea stories I've heard, I would write a book when I get out. HA 

The Navy has the reputation of being the BEG PARDON [crossed out spelling mistake] "cussing-est" men in the world. And it should hold the record most and biggest liars. 

I don't seem to be able to spell anything right tonight. 

One of the guy's wife is having a baby pretty soon and he says if it's a boy he is naming him after me. Tell me (I'm pretty dumb on such matters), does that make me the godfather or not?

I hope I have a letter from my mother when we get to Japan. I've only heard from her one time since I left the States. 

And my brother and sister never answer any of my letters, so I've stopped writing them completely. Oh, well, I guess they haven't got time to waste writing to a brother they haven't seen but two or three times in the last six years.

I hear we might be going to Hong Kong, China, in March for a few days. I hope we do. I want to see the place.

Well, Norm, I can't think of anything else to say, so I'll shut up.

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...