Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Two Paperclips

[Editor's Note: Norma had a system where she paper clipped the envelopes that held letters of special significance, mainly when she noted a "first" of some kind, but occasionally she put paperclips on envelopes that contained romantic thoughts. The envelope that held this letter had two paperclips.] 

Dec. 31, 1952
Lost at sea

"Moon Over Seoul" © Mark Diebert Photography 
Hi Honey,

You should see the big, beautiful moon outside. It's the "biggest, brightest" moon I've seen since we were in Korea last year. It's the only thing this country has that is pretty. 

This job I have is getting a little tiresome. I sit on my "can" so much I'll have a flat one when we hit the States next time.

Tomorrow is the first day of '53. EXCUSE ME [Jim crossed out a thought and wrote over it.] I haven't made any resolutions yet. I can think of plenty I should make, but I can't think of any I would keep.

We flew a little today. 75 planes took off and 75 came back. Of course, they were just getting flight time, none of it was combat.

I wish you could have been with me watching the moon. I wouldn't care where we were as long as you were with me.

Oh, I forgot. I got a letter from you today. I got so carried away with the moon and you I didn't mention it. I'm trying to answer it now, if I ever get around to to re-reading it to make sure what it says. When I read it this morning, I was trying to receive messages and read at the same time. It didn't turn out very good. I guess I'll have to stick to one thing at a time.

I sure would like to have helped you decorate your Christmas tree. I like to do things like that.

McCurry was lucky to be home for Christmas. Wish I could pull off something like that sometime. 

"Yes," that Cathy-Durham affair could develop into something. I think both of them have the same intentions. By the way, don't tell them I said that. They might not like it.

Have you heard "High Noon" by Tex Ritter? I like it; we have the record on the ship.

I haven't heard "My Desire" yet. [Editor's Note: I can't find a recording by that title but there is a song released in 1952 by Louis Armstrong called "That's My Desire" and has the kind of lyrics Norma would have appreciated.]

I can't stand the song "Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes." The damn thing drives me "nuts" and, besides, it doesn't make sense to me.

I'll be glad when '53 is over, then I'll only have one year to do in the service instead of two.

Then I'll be glad when '54 is over. I'll be out. "Oh, glorious thought." HA

I haven't heard "That's Me Without You," either. In fact, I never even heard of it.

Listen real close, honey, and you can hear me singing you to sleep now.

I've got to call it quits. Until next year.

Answer soon.

All my love,

Jim

Click on this link to read the next letter. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...