Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Baby, You Can Trust Me Anywhere

October 14 1952
San Diego, Calif.

Ronson print ad, Life Magazine issue 3/24/52.
Hi Norma,

I got a "charge" out of the way you asked what "elbow-bending baby" was. HA 

Did you ever sit at a bar on a stool and drink beer or whiskey? Or sit and drink anywhere, for that matter? If so, you always bend your elbow when you take a swallow, don't you? That's what we call "bending the elbow."

I'm glad our last two weeks of operating are over. We had all those Marines along. There weren't bad guys, but there were so many they got in the way and their helicopters were a lot of trouble, too.

Two of my buddies wanted me to go over with them last night and I'm glad I didn't go because they came back "soaked to the tonsils," if you will excuse the expression. 

The night we were celebrating, we were drinking everything from straight whiskey to beer. Mixing it like that was one reason I got so "high." No, I never have a very bad hangover. I never do unless I drink a lot of beer and most of the time I stay away from that stuff completely. Only one time I had one to any extent. In Japan, I got drunk on a little beer and a lot of Japanese wine. I was "shaky" and had a bad stomach for three days but I never did vomit.

You signed off saying you were sleepy. If I were there, I would take you in my arms and sing you to sleep and then I would put you to bed, tuck you in and fall asleep with you.

You asked if you could trust me out here. Baby, you can trust me anywhere. I'm the most trustworthy fellow I know of. HA

It looks like I left everything I own in your car. By the way, did I leave a small Ronson cigarette lighter with my initials on it there?

Your bowling was real good for a new bowler. It took me a long time to do that well.

Honey, how am I supposed to send you a kiss? My lips don't leave "foot-prints." 

I've got to close now and write my little sister before she eats me out for not answering her letter.

Answer soon.

Your admiral,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...