Sunday, August 23, 2015

Rocking And Rolling Tonight

March 10, 1953
at sea

Ann Sothern and Don Porter in a still
from their sitcom, "Private Secretary,"ca. 1953
Hi "angel,"

I'm back again and this is the first time I've had a chance to write in 3 days.

We have some guys who write letters while they are supposed to be working, but I can't do that. If anyone else is working, I can't sit and let them do my share while I read or play cards or, in lots of cases, write letters home.

We have been "weathered in" most of today. About all we have flown is anti-submarine patrol. 

I don't think my job change is either a promotion or a demotion. I'm still with the same outfit, drawing the same pay. 

I'm pretty tired tonight. We got up at three this morning. It's about nine now. We worked 18 or 19 hours today.

It sure is dark out tonight and the sea is rough. Just a little while ago they passed the word "prepare for rough weather." So, I guess this tub will do a lot of rocking and rolling tonight.

You know, honey, I wish we were together tonight. I would hold you real close and whisper in your cute little ear and tell you how I love you.

Hey, one of the boys just told me a joke. The secretary said to her boss, "Sir, I have found a new position." The boss said, "Good. Pull down the shades."

He told me another one but it's too long to write, also, too "shady."

Well, honey, I've got to sign off and mail this before the mail closes.

Answer soon.

All my love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...