Monday, August 3, 2015

Kiss, Cuddle Up, Then Kiss Some More

September 28, 1952
San Diego, Calif.

Dancer in Nightclub, Tijuna, Mexico, ca. 1962,
photographed by Robert Doisneau
Hi Norma,

How's my elbow-bending baby? I'm O.K. We just got in from a week of very hectic training operations. We were qualifying some "green" jet pilots and, believe me, those guys are dangerous.

They were piling them up one after the other all week. Another week like this and I'll be beating my head against the wall. 

Speaking of cool weather, it has gotten quite a bit cooler here. I never thought I would see anything but heat in San Diego. 

"Gal," let me tell you, I was "looped" that night my buddy got discharged. "I ain't never been so drunk."

I like to drink some, but it will be a long time before I get that "high" again.

You would like Tijuana. You know something about Monroe Street in Chicago, I guess. Well, T-town is like that all over, all night spots.

Their burlesque shows aren't very artistic, but they don't leave much to imagination. They get old after awhile and the girls you find there are the same way. Well, to be truthful about it, I like a little more peaceful atmosphere. I'm a little tired of dodging beer bottles. 

But it's the only place to go around here except "Dogo" and there you've got to have quite a bit of money to have any fun. And no sailor is very well "heeled." 

That wedding sounds like it was a pretty gay affair. I would have liked to have gone to that with you. We cold have gotten "silly" together. If I'm right, you will be twenty-one the next time I'm home, so we'll work things out. 

[Editor's note: In 1952, the age of majority in Michigan was 21.  I'll leave the rest to your imagination.]

That "Singapore Sling" sounds like a pretty potent drink. I think I could use one right now. 

Tell me, Norm, how do you get in those places under age? Out here, they check everybody (girls, especially) when they enter the door. And they used to check me most of the time I was in Detroit. 

You had better be careful with that Ford or you might get hurt and we wouldn't want that to happen. 

The card you sent was real nice, honey, and it expresses my feelings right now. I would like to be there with you. We would kiss, cuddle up, then kiss some more. 

Well, gal, I've got to sign off. So, over and out.

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...