Friday, August 7, 2015

The Land of Cherry Blossoms

[Editor's Note: This letter is chronologically out of sequence, but it was wrapped in Norma's package of letters after the one dated December 17, which leads me to think that she arranged them in the order in which they were received. The letters hint at the notorious US mail delivery problem that plagued all the branches of service for decades (centuries?).]


December 4
Thursday

Hi Norma,
ITO, Yuhan (1882-1951). Castle and Cherry Blossoms.
Original woodblock print, Japan, c.1930.

Long time no hear from you. Also, long time since you heard from me.

Here is my excuse. We left San Diego the 20th of November and just got to Pearl Harbor yesterday. We were qualifying pilots on the way over and one had a miserable time of it. We've had more crack-ups than we've had in a long time. In one day, we demolished three planes.

The gear that stops the plane when he landed on deck tore up. We repaired it at sea, but the catapults tore up so we had to pull into port to fix them. That's why we are here now.

I suppose we will be here about one more week, then we go on to Japan. 

I hear we are spending Christmas in the Land of Cherry Blossoms. I hope so. I've pulled too many holidays at sea to suit me.

No, Dot H_____ and I do not write to each other and your guess about whether she and Cy are going together is as good as mine. Probably better, you are home, you can see what's going on. And as for EXCUSE PLEASE [Jim scribbled out a spelling mistake] congratulating me, you won't have to as far as she is concerned.

So, you can stop all rumors to that effect. In fact, I would consider it a favor if you did.

No, thanks, I wasn't interested in Dot D_____ that way. I was just wondering if she ever hooked a husband.

I hope you don't have to have your glasses changed. I suppose that is a lot of bother.

Neither Pearl Harbor nor Honolulu have changed much. Still just like they were last year and I don't like them any better. It seems the people here hate "Valley Forge" sailors worse than any other ship. Every time any of us go ashore, someone starts trouble with us. Oh, well, it's a tough life but someone has to live it.

Well, honey, I better sign off now.

Answer soon.

Love,

Jim

Click on this link to read the next letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...