Thursday, August 27, 2015

Payday

March 30, 1953
"Payday" HA

U.S. Soldiers near "Old Baldy," west of
Chorwon, South Korea, March 1953
Hi Honey,
The upper right had corner says payday. I can't figure what good it does. We don't have any place to spend it.

I think we leave here the 14th of April and go to Japan. The rest of our cruise shouldn't be too rough.

But it would be if there was very much more of it. Yesterday morning we got up at 3:30, 5:00 this morning, and 1;30 tomorrow. A lot of that would get me down fast.

You remember I told you I didn't know anything about fighting a fire in a jet air craft? "Props" are the only ones I've been checked out on. Yesterday, we had a fire in a jet while starting it.

It was throwing flames about 8 feet behind it. I didn't know if I should run, try to put it out, or what. So, I kept giving the pilot the signal to "turn her up."

And that way, we blew the fire out. I was expecting the thing to blow up any time. They told me later that I did right, since that is the only way to put out the fire without ruining the engine.

All it did was add more "silver" to  my graying hair. HA 

We have a plane going to the beach tomorrow. I'm gonna try to get this letter on it, if I can. I don't know the pilot, but maybe I can find someone who does.

I suppose you have been reading about "Old Baldy" hill in Korea. I was talking with a pilot who was over it today. He says the place is tore  all to "hell." He was over giving the "Doggies" some close air support. 

Sweet thing, I've got to sign off and hit the "basket." 

Answer soon.

All my love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...