Saturday, August 8, 2015

Still At Sea

December 15, 1952
"Still at sea"

The USS Valley Forge's  missions in the 50s took them into
areas of the Pacific Theater that had been critical
10 years prior during WWII
Hi Norma,

It's me again. We are still on our way to Japan. It will take us ten days to get there when we could make it in seven or less, but I guess the "old man" is in no hurry.

He is no good for anything, so I suppose we couldn't expect anything good from him. When they gave us a captain this time, they must have scraped the bottom of the barrel. And the executive officer (second on command) is not better. If anything, he's worse. So that, among other things, points to a not so pleasant cruise.

I suppose to you this is boring, but it's all I can think to write about. 

The weather is still hot. I think we are about half way between Pearl Harbor and Midway Island. It will start getting cold after we pass Midway.

I'll be glad to get to Japan. I don't mind being at sea when there's something to do, but now there is no work to be done. All we have to do is kill time.

Glad to hear your father is able to go back to work. I know what it's like to be sick for weeks at a time and I don't like it.

[Editor's note: In September, Norma's father had a successful colostomy and was one of the first people to survive the surgery, which was considered revolutionary at the time. It's also remarkable that Clyde went back to work less than three months later and may be attributable to his strong work ethic. It was something Norma inherited from him. As for Jim illness that kept him out of commission for weeks, the only incident I know of is a back injury while playing high school football, which created ongoing problems that he would need to address for the rest of his life, but wasn't serious enough to for a military deferment.]

I got a Christmas card from Tom L___'s class [at Gilead Baptist Church]. Did your mother have anything to do with that? Tell her it was appreciated. Also, the rest of the class.

With the church a ship's gray now, when I come home I'll be flying model planes off the pulpit. HA 

I know Kirk and his girlfriend were supposed to get married, but I didn't know when. He is another one who should be looking around the country instead of increasing the population.

And as for going to a seminary, that's fine, but I think he would make a better minister if he went out and looked at the world first. Of course, that's just my opinion and doesn't mean much.

I don't know if you can write a letter at five in the morning. At that time, my mind is a total blank.

I heard something about Doris S______'s "young-un." I don't know what it is (what sex, I mean.)

Well, little doll, I've got to sign off. So "over and out."

Answer soon.

Love,

Jim

Click on this link to read the next letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...