Friday, August 7, 2015

#1 On My Prayer List

[Editor's Note: Norma tucked her letter inside the envelope of Jim's letter. They were both dated December 17, 1952.]


December 17, 1952 

Vintage Christmas card, date and country unknown
Dear Jim:

Just a little note to enclose with your Christmas card.

If you read the verse then you will know my Christmas wish for you. Because wishes, happy thoughts and pleasant memories go out to you every day and in every letter.

Maybe it's not in very good taste to wish you a "Merry Christmas" with you so far from home. So, I'll save that for next Christmas when you should be stationed in the States. You know what I'm trying to say, don't you? Sometimes, I just can't express in words what I feel.

I do want you to know that I do pray for your safety each night. I'm not saying that boastfully, but as a fact. To me, prayer is a wonderful thing for it is talking to God and with Him. That's why you are #1 on my Prayer List and have been since you went to Korea in 1951. Please don't think that I'm corny or acting silly. Right now I'm very serious and everything that is being written is sincere.

[Editor's note: The letter is unsigned and, obviously, unsent. I suspect it was a rough draft for the letter she put in the Christmas card she sent. Whether she edited the final version only slightly or went in a completely different direction, I have no idea. What I do know is that prayer and her faith were important aspects of who she was and she taught me that prayer can work miracles. Norma believed prayer was an active, not passive, practice. However, she would have been careful about discussing her beliefs until she felt secure that she would not be ridiculed and, as noted in previous posts, Jim could have a sharp tongue.]

Click on this link to read the next letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...