Monday, August 10, 2015

Kiss Of Fire

December 26, 1952
Yokosuka, Japan

Front cover of William Wegman's version of the classic which
uses his Weimaraners as models.
 [The editor's favorite.]
Hi "sweet thing,"

'Twas the day after Christmas and all through the house
Everybody was feeling like "hell," including me.

[Editor's note: Years later, Jim would write an annual Christmas poem and often parodied the classics. This wasn't an auspicious beginning. Click here for a traditional version of "Twas The Night Before Christmas."]

Our party started at 10 in the morning and broke up at 11:30 last night. Just enough time for us to get to the ship by midnight. (That's when liberty expires.)

But no more like that one, that's too much for me. I quit. "Well," 'til New Year's anyway. HA 

You can tell me what you bowled no matter how low it was. I've done worse. The last two times have almost caused me to quit.

"Boy," it is cold here today. It snowed a little this morning but has stopped now.

By now you should have heard from me. I wrote you 4 or 5 times coming from Pearl Harbor to Yokosuka. Also, a couple of times since we got here.

No, I don't know Babe H____'s husband's name.

I danced to the song "Kiss Of Fire," about 20 times. The last time and every time, I thought of you. The only reason I didn't pass out was I kept moving by dancing all the time. I never have passed out and I'm too old to start over. 

"Boy," that trip to New York sounds O.K. Just stand by and we'll make it some day when I get out of this organization.

Speaking of "are you teasing me," you sure gave me a "fit" last night. I can't stand any girl, especially you, to tickle my leg above the knee. That gets my vinegar up in a hurry. 

Hey, did you hear this definition for "convenience"? It's something that hurts when everything else feels good.

I don't remember if I went back to T-town [Tijuana] anymore or not. I probably did.

I got a Christmas card from Norton L___. I wish you would remember to thank him for me, please.

Well, baby, I've got to sign off now.  Over and out.

Answer real soon.

I love you,

Jim 

[Editor's note: On the front of the envelope Norma wrote, "December 26, 1952 'I love you' first time."]

Click on this link to read the next letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...