Thursday, August 27, 2015

My Heart Belongs To Only You

Sunday
April 5, 1953
At Sea

June Christy's song, "My Heart
Belongs To Only You" hit the
Billboard charts in March, 1953
Hi "Honey Doll," 

What's new with the sweetest gal I know?

Nothing much to talk about. It's still the same old routine out here, except we are having trouble with the executive officer again. HA  He doesn't like our division officer. In turn, he makes life pretty miserable for us sometimes. He says we are the best working division on the ship, but we aren't military enough. In my opinion, he is just a "so so" fighter pilot who has gotten too many good "breaks." During the war, I guess he had a good record for killing Jap planes. He was lucky and thinks his luck was skill. He hasn't got enough sense to realize that anyone who could get a plane "off deck" could make commander during World War Two. I hope the captain doesn't get knocked off and leave that "bum" in command. He isn't capable of being responsible for three men, not to mention three thousand.

So much for my troubles. 

No, I haven't heard either of those records you mentioned. In fact, I've never even heard of June Christy, is she something new? 

I'm sure tired tonight and I've got to get up at 3:30 and go on watch. I don't know if I'll be able to stay awake or not.

The paper was right, we've been flying lots of planes off this thing for quite a while. Out of the last 72 hours, we've flown 54 hours. Everybody is worked to a "frazzle." HA 

Your class must be growing. I'm glad to hear it. Keep up the good work, but be careful swelling that chest up to size 52". You might "bust" a strap. HA 

"Darling," I've got to go to bed and get some sleep.

Answer real soon. 

I love you,

Jim

P.S. I'll write more tomorrow.

Click on this link to read the next letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...