Thursday, August 13, 2015

When Heaven Is Silent

[Editor's Note: On the front of this envelope, Norma wrote the title of a book, "When Heaven Is Silent" by Ronald Dunn. 


January 3, 1953
KOREA

Vols v. Longhorns, '53.
It wasn't pretty.
Hi "honey," 

Since mail goes off tomorrow, I had better write while I have a chance. Please excuse the mistakes. I haven't slept very much in the last 48 hours so I'm having trouble keeping my hand steady. Today we have flown 98 sorties. That means 98 planes took off loaded with bombs. More than that took off but some were just photo planes and two didn't come back. 

Two days of combat flying and two planes gone. I guess that's pretty good, one plane per day.

A plane went in the water yesterday and the pilot was picked up by a helicopter. He was unconscious and couldn't be pulled inside the 'copter, so they left him to hang outside in a sling and flew him hanging outside ten miles to the ship. When we brought him aboard, there was ice on his hands and face, but he's O.K. now.

Still a little shocked, but otherwise alright.


Excuse me while I get a cup of coffee. I've got to stay awake some way.

Tomorrow is refueling day. Maybe we can sleep a little. We operate over here with three carriers instead of two. I thought that would make it easier, but it doesn't.

That's enough about that stuff. How are things at home? You, in particular? I never thought "Don't Let The Stars Get In Your Eyes" would ever make the hit parade. I can't stand the song. But I guess that's what I get for doing my own thinking.

Tonight is Friday night at home. What do you do on weekends now? I sure could go for some of Westwood's Ice Cream right now. 

Let's drive out for some, O.K.? 

I read about Tennessee losing to Texas in the Sugar Bowl. That almost broke my heart. HA 

Norma, I'm so tired, I can't think so I'll sign off.

Answer real soon.

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...