Tuesday, August 4, 2015

In The MIddle Of It

October 1, 1952
San Diego, Calif.

Scan of Jim's stationery,
ca. 1952
Hi Norma,

Don't pay any attention to my "griping," but this place gets worse all the time. I'll sure be glad when we shove off for Japan. I wish our home port was "Frisco" or Seattle, any place besides here.

When I was home I asked Norman D_____ (Bob's cousin) where Bob was going. He said "to Austria." I remarked that he was lucky to be getting duty there. Norman said, "Whatta ya mean lucky? If a war starts over there, he will be in the middle of it." I didn't say anything, but I thought of the guys who have been in the middle of "it" for the last two years in Korea and most of them would give their right arms and eye teeth to get duty in Austria.

The name of that race track is Del Mar, but I didn't get to go back and the racing season is over now.

No, I've never been to Hollywood, but I've been to Los Angeles once and was only about 20 miles from Hollywood.

When I get away from "Dogo," I usually go to Long Beach. I have a few friends there. If you want to see the place, come on out, and I'll show you around. I don't know much about the place, but we could learn it together.

Tomorrow we go out for three weeks. We are taking 800 Marines and a bunch of Marine helicopters along to practice making invasions from carrier based air craft. 

Well, kid, I've got to sign off. 

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...