Sunday, August 23, 2015

22 Months And 8 Days To Go

March 3, 1953

Crash of a U.S. Navy F4U-4 Corsair from fighter squadron VF-124,
Carrier Air Group 12 (CVG-12) on the aircraft carrier
USS Oriskany (CVA-34) on 6 March 1953.
Hi Honey Doll, 

I'm back again. I wrote last night but I got three letters from you today and had better answer them while I have time because I have a feeling I won't have much time for anything the next few days. We are supposed to fly 125 sorties tomorrow and for a carrier, that's a lot.

I haven't done anything today, that is, since early this morning. I worked from 4 AM 'til 7 AM, then went back to bed, but for the next three days we will probably be flying 18 or 20 hours each day, so "Uncle Sam" will get even with me for sleeping all day.

If the present kind of weather keeps up, we can't fly tomorrow. I just looked outside and it is snowing like "hell." 

I hope your cold is better now, and as for my catching it by kissing you, I don't think there is any danger. If I can go through this type of weather without getting a cold, I'm sure I can kiss a sweet little girl without getting anything.

Happy birthday, darling, I hope you have many more and that I can spend some of them with you. 

[Editor's note: Norma's birthday was February 20.]

You must be drinking that wine like water. I could sure use a shot of it, O.K?

Speaking of dancing, I think I should warn you that I have to be pretty "tight" before I will get on the floor and most of the time I make a fool of myself, but still I like to try.

(Delayed)
March 6, 1953

Hi Kid,

I'm sorry I started this three days ago. I think before I expected the next three days to be rough, well, that's the understatement of the year. The only time we had was to eat and catch a couple of hours sleep once in a while. I repeat, I will be glad when this cruise is over.

A bomb went off on our partner carrier today, but no one was killed. A couple of guys got hurt a little, I think. It sure did cause a "hell" of a fire and tore the flight deck up pretty bad, so I hear.


So, Johnny B______ is back in town, "eh?" I would like to see him. If I had gone into the army with him, I would be out now, instead of having twenty-two months and eight days to do.

By the way, the next time you see him, say "hello" for me.

Well, angel, I've got to close, or rather, "sign off."

Over and out.

Answer soon.

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...