Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Sing Me To Sleep

October 20, 1952
San Diego, Calif.

Sheet music for "You Belong To Me,"
#1 on the Top Ten Billboard Charts for weeks in 1952
and one Jim and Norma's favorite songs
Hello Norma,

I'm back again. I got your letter today and thought I had better answer it while I have time. We will be going to sea pretty soon and I won't be able to write at all.

So, you are an elbow-bending baby, "eh?" HA I should be on the beach bending the elbow now, but I'm not, "dog gone it." "Oh, well," maybe tomorrow night. You know something? I haven't been drunk in quite a while. I guess I'm slipping. 

What do you like your drinks mixed with? "Gin" or something like that, huh? 

[Editor's note: When I was a teenager, Norma limited her drinking to weddings and always ordered what I came to call The Baptist Wedding Drink, gin and 7-up.]

I would like to go to Kentucky with you. We could have a wonderful time on those curves (the ones in the road, I mean). HA

Honey, tonight I need you to sing me to sleep. For some reason, I haven't been sleeping very well lately.

Last night, a couple of guys had a fight right next to my bunk. I think it was about 2 o'clock this morning. I had only been to sleep about an hour and they woke me up. I still haven't found out what started it all.

I can't think of anything to say tonight, so I guess I'll sign off.

Answer real soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...