Sunday, August 16, 2015

That Woozy Feeling

January 26, 1953
Japan

Print ad, The Snows of Kilimanjaro, ca. 1952
Hi angel,

I got 4 letters from you, two postmarked the 12th, one the 15th, and one the 19th. And I was really glad to get them. We stay at sea so much lately mail has a tough time catching up with us.

Honey, the next time a dog starts chasing you, bark at him louder than he does at you and he will go away. That is if you can muster up enough nerve to do it.

I know, Norm, sometimes things go wrong for us and we feel like just quitting, but if we just let things ride, they usually come out O.K. Right?

And anytime you want to tell me those things, I'm a good listener, if it helps you.

We've been in port for two days and I haven't even been to the beach. That must be some sort of a record, but baring mishaps, I'll go over tomorrow and get with it. But not near so much as I did at Christmas.

That sweater sounds pretty sharp. Does it have its finer points?

I got a letter from mom again today. I suppose she does know she has a son named "Jim," after all.

No, I didn't get to see "Snows of Kilimanjaro," but I sure would like to.

I've seen a couple of the '53 Chevrolets (pictures, that is). I'll bet it is nice. Grissom's is where I bought the "Chevy" I had in '49. 

I'm sorry, honey, that I didn't invite you to our party, but when I come home we will throw one that will make this one look like an old maid's convention.

"Oh, yes," before I forget, you know that application for a date with a sailor I sent you? Well, one of the guys sent on to a girl in his hometown and did she get unstrung. She called him every kind of "cad." She asked him if he thought she was the type of girl who would consider answering such a thing. And signed off by asking him to never speak to her again. HA  I thought it was pretty funny. I hope you don't take yours that way.

I don't remember just what my lowest bowling score was, but it was pretty low. About the same as yours, I think.

If you want to when I come hime, we will take a tour up to N.Y. and you can show me the sights. 

Honey, write as often as you have time. Every night isn't too much for me to hear from you.

You didn't miss it much. We got to Yokosuka the 25 of January. You have our schedule worked out better than I have.

No, I'm not a spiritualist. I wear a pair of bottle tile phones.

You know, "honey," I wish I were with you tonight. I would squeeze you 'til you popped. Then I would kiss you on your sweet lips. You are the sweetest girl I know. I still say you're the reason they are saving front row seats in Heaven. 

The card you sent was real cute and I did appreciate the thought behind it. Thanks for it, darling.

I would have given my left arm and eyeteeth to have been at that party and danced with you.

I'm not much of a dancer when sober, but after 4 or 5 drinks, Fred Astaire is an amateur. HA 

I laughed when you said your legs had a "woozy" feeling. That's where it gets me, too. And, after that, it starts working on my brain. Then, I don't care what I do.

Well, "honey doll," I'll sign off for this time.

Over and out.

Answer soon.

I love you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...