Friday, August 14, 2015

Front Row Seats In Heaven

January 11, 1953
At Sea

The gun captain prepares for his job of de-icing the gun on carrier
USS Oriskany (CVA-34) off the coast of Korea; January 1953
Hi "angel," 

Finally we had mail call. Yesterday it was. I only got one letter from you, but I guess there are some more held up some place.

We have hit bad weather again. It is raining outside and the sea is getting rough. The barometer (that's a device that forecasts bad weather) has been dropping since noon. It's now 6 or 7 in the evening and it is still falling. It looks like we're in for a bad one.

A couple of days ago we had a "pile-up." A jet caught a wire with his tail hook. It broke, then he caught another and it broke, too. So, he came on up the deck and hit the barriers. But the funny thing was a corpsman and a chief petty officer were chasing each other in circles around me. They are both new aboard ship and haven't seen many crashes, especially a bad one like that. They got tangled up in each other's legs and fell over the deck. 

I was laughing so hard I couldn't make any report of what was happening outside to the commander. He was yelling like hell, trying to find out what was going on, but as far as I know, he still doesn't know.

"Yes," I think we did make Japan the 22nd. I don't remember exactly.

You asked about the catapults and arresting gear. The "cats" are O.K., but the "A.G." is still on the "blink."

I don't know what Vera Ellen looks like in the movies. I never saw her in one. No, "the drunk swabbie" wasn't me. I wasn't quite "that" drunk. 

[Editor's Note: I am Norma's daughter, because I read the letter the same way and thought Jim was the "drunk swabbie" hitting on Vera Ellen, too.]

 I was still sober enough so that the guy she was with looked big and tough to me.

That "damn" shorthand is still confusing. If you ever want to "chew me out," that's a good way. I wouldn't know what you are saying.

[Editor's Note: Norma's shorthand skills were pretty good and she practiced them throughout her life. Especially at Christmas, when she tortured Jim and me by leaving her shopping lists around the house in plain view. The lists would show each of our names, in English, followed by a list of presents, in shorthand.]

Now, don't misunderstand me, I'm not a die-hard Republican. I voted that way this time, but it depends on circumstances how I vote. The next time I might vote Democratic. 

"No thanks," I wouldn't try to write 23 pages in one letter. I couldn't do it and even if I could, it would be too much trouble.

So, if I go to West Point, only in the Navy the place is Annapolis, you will serve under me, "eh?" If you will be a good junior officer, I'll give it a try. HA You know, honey, I could never be anything but nice to you. You are the reason they are saving front row seats in Heaven.

I told Lash what you said. He said I was a hopeless case, that nobody could have any influence on me. HA 

I was very sorry to hear about Cathy's father dying. I didn't know him but judging by the rest of them, he must have been a good "Joe.

I've sat on the deck writing this letter and my "can" has gone to sleep. Hurts, too. HA 

I just got some bad news. I have to help set out the chairs for the movie tonight.

I didn't know that Cathy and Durham were engaged. Give them both my blessings and heartfelt congratulations.

Well, I have to sign off for now. Over and out.

Answer real soon, honey.

Love, 

Jim 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...