Sunday, August 16, 2015

Till I Waltz Again With You

January 23, 1953
"At Sea"

Cover sleeve for Teresa Brewer's hit single, ca 1952
Hi Honey,

We are on our way to port now for a few day's rest and it didn't come any too soon for me. I was beginning to get tired.

They made me work today, helping clean our spaces, but about all I did was rearrange the dust.

We clean up one day and the next day it's just as bad as before we started.

Of course you are forgiven for not writing. I know how it is.

I started this letter yesterday but didn't quite finish it. We are in port now. That is, we are anchored out in the stream and since I don't like to ride the liberty boat, I'm not going ashore until we pull into the dock, which should be no more than a day or two at most.

I was just kidding my buddy. He's reading a story on the "sex life of the American woman." 

I asked him what he was learning. He said not anything, except a husband had to stay home every night to keep them happy. HA  ("Them" meaning the wife.)

When these sailors are at sea, they read up on sex. And when they hit port, they try to put it into practice. HA 

I've concluded that a sailor is the most unemployable person there is. A sailor sees a lot of a few things, but a "swab" sees a little of a lot of things and therefore becomes a "jack of all trades and a master of none." HA 

Look, "Baby Doll," when I start lying to you it will be a cold day in "hell," so don't worry about that any.

"Yes," I finally got a letter from mom and everything was O.K.

I think we are still going to Hong Kong. The reason we are going there, I suppose, is since it is a British owned colony with "Red" Chinese all around it, we can scare them a little if we send a few carriers in there to let them get a look at our sea power.

China doesn't appeal to me at all. It will be nice to see it, but I hope we don't stay more than a couple of weeks as scheduled.

Thank you, honey, for thinking of me at Christmas. I guess you are the only one who did and I meant I would like to be in Detroit with you.

Thanks for mentioning Teresa Brewer's name. I had been trying to think who the girl was who recorded "Rhode Island Redhead" and "I Don't Care." It was her. I liked both of those.

No, I haven't heard "Till I Waltz Again With You."

A "level bolt" is just a place to attach a hoist or platform for working on the plane.

No, I don't get it ready for the pilot. I work with a fire fighting unit. We fight crash fires and clear wreckage. We have all been to fire fighting school and they sent me on to a phone talker's school. When we have a crash, I go out with my phone and tell the commander the extent of the damage, how long it will take to repair it and any other things I think he should know.

Woman, if you don't send me some of those pictures, I'll slap you on you on your "stem shuts" for sure. No fooling, honey, I want some of those. I want to see how you look as a little "fly girl."

I don't know just what you mean by "in action," but we were bombing gooks for three weeks already, if that's what you meant. The only action for us is dodging "prop" blades and runaway airplanes.

Okay, kid, it's a date to celebrate when I get home and as far as that wedding, I'm all for them, too. In fact, anything you say is O.K. with me.

Well, honey, I've got to sign off for now.

Answer soon.

I love you,

Jim

Click on this link to read the next letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...