Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Codfish Air Lines

May 28, 1953
Valley Forge

Scan of Jim's stationery for this letter
Hi Darling,

I'm back again. We hit the line again today, but didn't do any flying. Bad weather.

I have some pretty straight "dope" this time. We leave the line the 7th of June, arrive in Yokosuka the 9th and leave there the 11th. Stop three days in Pearl Harbor and hit San Diego the 25th. But from now to the 7th of June, it's going to be "rough" on refueling days. We don't rest anymore. We refuel in the morning and fly in the afternoon. 

I'm damn glad I don't have to make a summer cruise over here.

We played three games the last time in port, but only won one of them. One of the losses was a two to one game, which we should have taken.

How would you like a new picture album? They have some real nice ones here. If we get liberty the next time in Japan, I'll get you one. You can use it when you get the one you have filled.

I don't know if "Sex After Forty" is any good or not. I didn't read it. HA 

I was just thinking about how good it will be to get home again and away from all this stuff over here. If I have to pull another cruise out here, I believe I would go nuts for sure. Nothing I can think of would be as bad as this, except maybe the infantry, and sometimes I think they have it better than we do.

Some writer has said that the outfit I'm in was the nearest thing the Navy has to a combat infantryman, but sometimes I think the infantryman is the nearest thing the Army has to a Navy "fire-bug." 

Honey, my section has to get up at 3:00 tomorrow morning, so I had better sign off. But at that [time we are] "late sleepers," the other section gets up at 1:00. HA 

Answer soon. 

I love you,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...