Sunday, September 6, 2015

How Much Is That Doggie In The Window

June 27, 1953
San Diego

Sheet music cover for Patti Page's big hit
ca. 1952
Hi Doll,

Boy, has this been a long day. I have liberty, but I don't care to go ashore. This town seems to be worse each time we pull in.

I was over for a little while yesterday, but I came back early. The place was too dead even for an old "dead beat" like me. HA 

By now you are home from "Cinci" and I hope your uncle is better. 

I tried to call you this afternoon. I wanted to surprise you, but it didn't work out so well. It was my fault. I should have told you I was calling. I'll call again if you will send your phone number. I had a hard time getting through without it.

I was listening to a couple of married "swabs" talking about their troubles the first few months they were married. It doesn't make very good copy, but it is good listening. HA 

One of them said he was married four days before his wife would go to bed with him. I think if that happened to me, I would be beating my head against the wall.

I sure am sweating out the time until I go on leave. I wish we were at sea, time seems to go faster out there. 

Just think, when my leave is up, I'll only have 14 months to pull. I'll sure be glad when it's over. I called my sister in Detroit yesterday. It sure was good to hear her again. She talks with more of a southern drawl than your mother. But you better not tell your mom I said that. HA 

If I'm not mistaken, today is supposed to be Norton L___'s wedding day. Did it come off alright? The wedding, I mean.

Jim's stationery for this letter


I'm just like that sailor at the top of the page. I can't think of anything, either. And speaking of page, I heard Patti Page sing "Doggie In The Window" and is it pretty. I can't get enough of it.

[Editor's Note: That's a fact. I heard "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window" sung by Jim from the time time I was a child until the day I went to college.] 

At first, I thought you took a train to Cinci, but I was re-reading a letter and it seems that you were trying to park on a hill, so I guess you drove down.

I may as well sign off. I can't seem to think of anything more.

Answer soon.

I love you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...