Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Wishing For Some Ice And Snow

July 23, 1953
"At Sea"

USS Valley Forge in the Panama Canal, ca. 1951-53
Hello Darling,

I have an apology to make to the West Coast. I thought it was the hottest place in the world, but it isn't. We are someplace below Mexico now and it is so hot we can hardly breathe. I'll be glad when this trip is over.

Some joker just came up and predicted hot weather in a couple of days. HA 

Maybe Nova Scotia will be cooler. I hope so.

I talked to my Division Officer about starting leave on the tenth of September. He doesn't know of any reason why I couldn't, so I guess that's when it will be.

We have a tough operating schedule on the cruise to Nova Scotia, but I don't mind. Time passes faster that way.

Honey, it's too hot to write. I'm now wishing for some of that ice and snow we had in Korea last winter.

Just think, I'll probably never go back to that place again. Not that I want to, but I kind of miss Japan. It seems funny leaving San Diego and going some other place.

July 26, 1953

Hi Sweetheart,

I started this three days ago, but didn't finish it, as you can see.

It's still hot out here but not quite as bad as before. We should hit Panama tomorrow, but we won't start through the canal until Thursday. We stay in Panama until Saturday the 31st of July, then go on to Norfolk. Day after tomorrow, we become East Coast sailors.

Hey, honey, tell me something to write. I'm stuck already.

I could tell you I love you, but you know that. So, I'll tell you anyway, I love you, darling.

Boy, it's gonna be good to get home. This waiting for a leave to begin is the toughest part of the Navy, but it's only a little more than a month now.

I think the Cruise to Nova Scotia will go pretty fast. We will be flying a lot. And if we have to be at sea, I had rather be flying than "dilly dallying" around like we are doing now.

Well, Doll, I may as well sign off for now. 

Answer soon.

I love you,

Jim

P.S. Notice change in address. [APO in New York City instead of San Diego]

Click on this link to read the next letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...