Saturday, September 5, 2015

Coming Home

June 14, 1953
"Coming Home"


The old war weary aren't far from stateside now. We make Pearl Harbor next Wednesday. Today we crossed the International Date Line, so tomorrow will be Sunday also. Today we didn't have to work, but I don't know if we get tomorrow off or not.

We have been on the edge of a typhoon since we left Japan. It hasn't been blowing any but it's foggy and has rained all the way.

I'm pretty positive I can start my leave the first of October. So would you like to see Michigan State play football? I hope you like the idea because I want to see a game while I'm home. 

About four years ago I saw MSC play Notre Dame and just the ceremonies are something to see.

[Editor's Note: At the time, the college was called Michigan State College. It's now Michigan State University.]

Two years ago when we came through Hawaii, I saw "H.U." play a team from stateside. It was a good game but it didn't have the same bands and "bally-ho" as the large US schools have. 

[Editor's Note: The paragraph above has odd phrasing for contemporary readers, comparing the University of Hawaiia's football games to those of "stateside" colleges. Hawaii became a state in 1959. At the time Jim wrote this letter, Hawaii was a territory.]

We have an assembly line here tonight. There are about six guys on model planes and autos. But I doubt any of them will run when they are through.

It sure seems funny to only work eight hours a day now. I have so much spare time I don't know what to do with myself. 

But I don't mind too bad. HA 

Speaking of working with colored people, we have one in our division who is one of the best guys here. He is always cracking some sort of a corny joke. Everybody likes him, even the dyed in the wool southerners. 

I just found out we don't have to work tomorrow. Two days in succession off. What's our X.O. coming to?

Just a couple of days ago he came into our repair locker with a cup of coffee and told us sea tales about his naval career. I suppose he isn't such a bad guy, except he is afraid this ship won't be the best one in the fleet.

Honey, I might as well sign off since I can't think of anything else to write about.

Answer soon.

I love you, Doll, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...