Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Thinking Of You On Valentine's Day

February 14, 1952
Thursday night

Whitman's Sampler print ad, ca. 1952, featuring Elizabeth Taylor


Hi ya Norma,

How's the cutest little girl in all Detroit? I didn't get a letter from you last mail-call day, but I was wondering what you are doing tonight and decided to write you.

"Boy," we've been lucky the last three days. Day before yesterday, the weather was real bad over the target area and we didn't launch a plane. Yesterday, we refueled and couldn't fly and today we launched one strike this morning, then the "ceiling moved in" (weather got bad) and we didn't fly at all this afternoon. We landed the morning strike in a snowstorm and one of them cracked-up, but it wasn't very bad, thank goodness.

Did I tell you about one of our heroes who sat on a burning gasoline tank to put it out? The guy can't sit down yet. He said, "Sitting on a burning gas tank was alright at first, but it will get you in the 'end'." 

Do you ever hear any "Hank Williams" records (he is a hillbilly singer)? [Editor's note: this link goes to Hank's "Hey, Good Lookin'," a song Jim used to sing around the house.] I used to like him when I was home. Well, anyway, I read in a newspaper (from the States) that his wife had divorced him and had sued for almost a half million "bucks." I didn't know hill billy singers made that kind of money. When I get out I think I'll get a guitar and start singing. I'll be able to retire when I'm thirty.

Tomorrow is my anniversary again. I've been in the Navy 13 months. In one way it doesn't seem very long and in another way, it seems like years.

I've got 35 months more to do and I hope I don't have to do much more of it over here.

I wish I could think of something to write about, but out here it's the same old routine all the time. Nothing ever happens very exciting. Those crack-ups used to be, but now they are nothing but all in the day's work. In fact, they are a nuisance.

There is a guy sitting right below me playing a steel guitar. He is pretty good with it.

We're going back to Yokosuka in about a week, but this time I don't think I'll go ashore very much. Those "gook" towns all smell alike and I don't like the stink.

Well, Norm, I got to sign off now.

Answer soon.

Your pal,

Jim (Gym)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...