Wednesday, July 29, 2015

One Kiss Per Lesson

April 21, 1952
Lost at sea
Scan of Jim's stationery for this letter

Hi Norma,

It looks like I started writing at the wrong time. The "sea apes" (men in the gunnery department) just started firing their 5 inch guns. Practice, of course, at least I hope. And they really jar this tub.

Norm, this letter will probably be pretty short. I'm so tired I can hardly sit up. In the last 4 days we've had about 16 hours of sleep and its about to catch up with me.

This captain of ours must be trying to win the war by himself. And the help of his crew, of course. I wish we had another "old man," one with a little more sense. 

We lost another pilot yesterday. A lieutenant named "Les" Workman. His plane was shot up pretty bad and went down in Wonsan Harbor. He bailed out, but his "chute" didn't open. So, that was all "she" wrote, he was a good guy, too. 


[Editor's note: after graduating from high school, Norma worked as a stenographer for "The Phone Company," as ATT was known at the time.]

So, Charlene and Norma R_____ are getting married, "eh?" Well, if they don't know any better, I guess it's alright. Personally, I can't see why anyone would want to get married nowadays. 

It really is spring over here now. I'm down to one pair of pants. HA  Before long, I should be down to none. "Oops," shouldn't have said that. HA  

I don't know if my six easy lessons [for learning how to park a car] include homework or not. It depends on the pupil. Of course, pretty often we get to park and talk over your mistakes, if any. My fee is one kiss per lesson, but if you want to throw in a few "tips," that's alright, too.

Just hang on to those Patti Page and Doris Day records 'til I get home and I'll drive you "nuts" playing them so much. 

I want a wallet-size photo of you. If it's any bigger, I've got no place to keep it.

No, I wouldn't say that I'm bashful. Let's just say I'm a little shy around women. 

"Well," kid, I've got to sign off for now.

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...