Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Fly Boys

April 24, 1952
Lost at sea

"The Bridges of Toko-ri," inspired by events on the Valley Forge
Hi Baby,

Tomorrow is refueling. Mail goes off and comes aboard, too. "Thank goodness!!" I've written you one letter this week already but it never hurts to write a cute girl two times in one week.

I'm so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open and once in a while I notice my hand start to shake. When I get like that its time for me to go to bed, but I can't until around 11:30. It's about 8:00 PM now.

In fact, the only things that keeps me awake are coffee and cigarettes. This stuff has got to cease pretty soon or they won't have any men left. 

We got 7 replacements last month for men who have been sent to hospitals or to stations where the duty is lighter, but they won't transfer me. I'm too dumb to do anything else, I guess. HA. 

"Well," another one of our pilots got the Purple Heart, a medal for bravery. He got hit in the canopy with shrapnel and it cut his face pretty bad, but he brought it in anyway, so therefore the Navy figures he is a brave man. Personally, I do, too. 

[Editor's note: the pilot Jim describes is listed in the Valley Forge Action Report incident dated 4-23 as "LCDR D.E. Brubaker VF 194." James Michener, who was a reporter stationed on the Valley Forge at the time, interviewed Brubaker and he is thought to have inspired the Brubaker character in Michener's book, "The Bridges at Toko-ri." I have long known that Jim thought James Michener was the best novelist of the 20th century, but I didn't realize that they were on the Valley Forge at the same time or that the novel is based on an incident that occurred while Jim was on the ship. Time for me to read the book.]

I wish I had the "guts" some of these "fly boys" have. It takes a lot of nerve to do what some of those guys do. 

It is beginning to look like we will be out here 30 days again this time. I was hoping we wouldn't stay so long, but it's official, Norm, we hit the States the 3rd of July. "Hurrah." We call it "Dogo" (San Diego Day) or "D" Day.

"Hey, Norm," what happened to the Tigers? The last time I saw the standings, they hadn't won a game and had lost 7. I guess they're missing my moral support. HA 

If I get home before the season is over, I won't do anything but see ball games. 

Norm, I'd better sign off for this time.

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...