Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Hi Beautiful

January 24, 1952
Thursday night

 University of Detroit Ski Club, ca. 1951


Hi Beautiful,

I just received your letter a little while ago.  I was sure glad to hear from you. It had been more than a week since I heard from you.

We are back in port now and does it feel good to get my feet back on dry land. We were out for 43 days. I hope we never have to stay out that long again.

The chocolate candy was real good, didn't I tell you it was already? If I didn't I'm sorry because I really did like it. "No," it wasn't bitter.

I couldn't rescue your letter. If I had gone in that water I wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes. It is too cold. Anyway, maybe the Navy hadn't gotten a letter for a long time.

I saw some pictures in a magazine of the snow in Detroit around Christmas time. It looked pretty deep. 

How did you remember that I've been in the Navy for a year? I almost forgot it myself. I hope that the next three years go by as fast as the first one.

Yes, I heard "I Can't Help It," but I don't know who it was by. That "Tell Me Why" has been kicking around for quite a while. I like it real well, but the one by the 4 Aces I haven't heard yet. 

I've been thinking about going to Tokyo, but I guess I will wait until we come into port the next time.

My buddy is from Russellville, KY. I don't know how far it is from Waynesburg [Editor's note: The town in Kentucky where Norma was born.]

"Hey," you're not getting so old. Look at me, I'm almost 22. I'm the one who is getting old. Just think, when I get out, I won't be a kid any more. Guess I'll have to settle down and not chase around so much, but I don't like the idea of settling down.

"Yes," I got the wine. It came last Monday. It came at just the right time. When I got it I wasn't able to think of anyone. We got to port Saturday evening, too late for me to go ashore, but Sunday a buddy from North Carolina and I went over and got, as the "gooks" say, plenty "stinko" and Monday did I have a "hang over" and that wine was sort of a "hooker" to pick me up.

I don't like wine very much [but I drink] a glass now and then. I certainly don't like to get drunk on it because it takes too long to sober up.

"Yes," I know a car will keep you broke. Mine used to keep me broke most of the time, but they sure are nice to have. When I get out, I'm gonna get me another one.


Well, Norm, I've got to close for now.

Answer soon.

Your pal,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...