Friday, July 17, 2015

You Bundle Of Beauty

Feb. 23, 1952
Sat. night

Poster for the film, "Flame of Araby," ca. 1951


Hi Norma, you bundle of beauty,

I received your letter yesterday. It was the first one in about ten days. 

I was beginning to wonder why you didn't write, but I found out when I read your letter. I don't know why you haven't heard from me in 3 weeks because I've been writing at least every 4th day. You will probably get them all at the same time.

It takes about two weeks for an air mail letter to get here and three weeks for a regular letter.  And sometimes, like a couple of weeks ago, we go 8 or 10 days without having mail-call.  Then some letters I get are mailed a month before I get them. 

Yes, I've heard of Joan Caulfield. In fact, a picture that she is in is playing, or rather soon will be playing, at the base theatre here in Yokosuka. I saw it advertised tonight, but I've forgotten the name of it.

I saw the "Flame of Araby" tonight. It had Maureen O'Hara and Jeff Chandler. Pretty good, too.  

I don't know how you [can stand] that spaghetti (if I didn't spell that right don't blame me, I copied yours). That is one food I can't stand. When we have it on ship, I don't go to chow.

In fact, we haven't had a good meal on this tub in months.

So, you think you're a pretty good driver, "eh?" Well, wait until I come home and I'll give you some pointers. That is, if I can still drive myself. It's been so long since I drove a car, I may have forgotten.

I heard that Eddie C____ got hurt at the roller skating party. Do you know anything about it? Maybe he was trying to make time with some girl and one time too many.

You must be a pretty good skater. I wish I cold skate. I can stand up O.K. but I have to run into the wall or something to stay up.

Well, in case you haven't guessed already, we're back in port again and it is really nice. Mostly to rest. When we're at sea, operating there just isn't any rest for us.

We got in at noon yesterday. Some of the guys went over and came back all fouled up, so drunk they couldn't walk. Some of them were beat up and passed out. One had gotten into a fight and the other guy thought he was a steak and carved on him a little with a knife.

The Doctor put 13 stitches in one wound on his back. I guess I can't criticize them because I "get tight" sometimes myself, but I never get in trouble and I always get back under my own "steam."

No, Norma, I don't think you need my prayers. I don't think they would help anyone right now, but I hope for you the best of luck. 

"Oh oh," the baby of the division just came in from Yokohama a little drunk. He told me all about the "Club St. Louis" up there. It must be a pretty good place. This guy (the baby we call him) joined the Navy at 16. He is 17 now and looks more like 14. HA

I'm glad Doris finally got George. She chased him until he caught her, I guess, but I don't know why he got married knowing that he will be going overseas as soon as his leave is up. I can't "see" that. He doesn't know how long he will be gone or where he is going, but I have a pretty good idea that we won't be too far apart. Just a few miles of water. 

No, that isn't the life for me. When I get married I want to live with my wife. And when I'm in a place like this, I like to be single so I can go out with these girls without a guilty conscience. 

Oh, well, I guess it's O.K. if they love each other enough. 

Well, Norm, I guess I've "yapped" enough, so I'll sign off now.

Answer soon.

Your sea-going mate, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...