Friday, July 3, 2015

Down Mexico Way

USS Valley Forge
Sept. 16, 1951

Artwork from Jim's stationery, ca. 1951


Hi ya Norma,

Guess I'm behind a little in my letter writing, but I've been a pretty busy Sailor lately.

I lost the last letter I got from you.  I put it on my bunk and went away for a few minutes and when I came back, it was gone.

But I remember you said you took a shot for smallpox.  HA! Bet it's still sore.  Mine was for about two weeks.  I haven't gotten any since I came aboard ship, but I'll be getting them before long.

"Boy," things sure are dull around here.  There's isn't much for a Sailor to do in San Diego.  I've been in lots of towns on the west coast and Diego is the worst yet.  

I guess you're in church by now.  Sure wish I was there.  On the weekend is the only time I want to be home very bad.

I think I told you we were pulling out the last of September, but I don't think we will, now.  I think it will be the last of October.  

So, your girlfriend's husband got discharge, "eh?" The lucky swab

Today is my anniversary.  I've been in this Navy 8 months.  I've got 3 years & 4 months to go. Sounds like a long time, doesn't it?  Well, "by gosh," it is. HA. 

Do you ever hear anything about Larry T_____? Where he is stationed and what he is doing?  It seems I got a letter last week from someone in Detroit which said George S______ was being called in the 14th of September.   Do you know anything about that?  

I'm going to Mexico tomorrow night.  I haven't been there yet, so maybe I can tell you what the women look like when I get back.

Well, Little Mate, it's time for this old salt to sign off.

Answer soon.

Your sea-going pal, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...