Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Cradle Of Charms

March 17, 1952
Somewhere in Korea

Detroit Parking Cop, outside the Michigan Theatre in 1952, as he tickets a car
Hi Norma,

Well, I haven't written to you in four days, but at least I'm not as tired as I was the last time I wrote, so maybe this one will be more sensible.

I got three letters from you last mail call day. I hope I do it again tomorrow. 

I should write to you more often than I do, but I'm so tired when we quit flying at night all I can do is shower and fall into bed.

The weather is getting better all the time. I don't have to wear but two pairs of pants, one shirt, one sweater and a foul weather jacket to keep warm. HA  You can imagine what I had to wear when it was cold.

Have my letters been sounding homesick lately? I'm sorry, I didn't mean for them to. When I start to feeling sorry for myself, I try to think that our pilots and the guys in the Army and Marines over on the beach are getting it a lot tougher than me, so maybe I'm not having it so bad after all.

I'm glad the Red Wings are in first place. I sure would like to see them play.

So, you finally got all the spaghetti? I'm glad. I guess you're not Italian after all.

When I come home, I'll show you how to park a car in six easy lessons. Of course, each lesson takes 2 or 3 days. 

Excuse the [spelling] mistakes, maybe I'm more tired than I thought I was.

How easy it is to park a car depends on where you want to park. Downtown isn't so easy, too many other cars in the way, but if you're parking in a lovers' lane or someplace like that, well, it isn't very hard at all. HA   At least that's what I've been told.

And if you'll give me a big enough kiss, I'll show you how to park in both places.

We got that record, "Little White Cloud That Cried" by Johnny Raye.  The song is O.K., but the singer "stinks." If it were by Patti Page or Doris Day, it would be pretty good. I've also heard "Any Time" and "Slow Poke." [Editor's note: these two songs were recorded by Helen O'Connell and both were on the Billboard Top Ten list for February, 1952.]

We also have "Give Me More Of Your Kisses," but it's by some "hillbilly" who can't sing at all.  [That would be Lefty Frizzell.]

Yes, I'll be able to vote, I think. We should be in the States on election day.

We had some bad luck today. The squadron commander of V.F. 111, a jet squadron, was killed today. He was a commander named Baslee, one of the nicest officers I've ever met. Everyone liked him, but when you're getting shot at, I suppose bullets don't respect anybody. It was an anti-aircraft battery that hit him. He knew he was hit so hard that his jet would never pull out of the dive, so he piled his plane up right on top of the gun that hit him with three bombs still on it. It don't suppose that gun emplacement will ever get anybody else.


Norm, I started this last night and could have mailed it then if I could have finished it, but the "Reds" didn't want me to. About the time I started, some enemy planes started snooping around and we had to go up on deck just in case they came too close. But that's the trouble, they don't come within gun range. They just fly close enough for the radar to pick them up. That gets the captain all bothered, so he can't go down to his room and he thinks if he can't go rest that no one else should.

So, we stayed at a ready condition until 10:30 last night after getting up at 3:30 in the morning.

But enough of my worries. Let's talk about something better, like you, you Cradle of Charms. "Corny, eh?" I sure would like to see you, I'm about to forget what you look like. How about sending me a picture of yourself, one that I can pin up on my locker door, O.K? 

Well, Norm, I've got to sign off this time or pretty soon this will be a book.

Answer soon.

Love, 

Jim 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...