Sunday, July 19, 2015

A Man Without A Woman Is Like A Ship Without A Sail

Feb. 26, 1952
Yokosuka, Japan

"Yokosuka 1951 B," photo used courtesy of Edward P. McNally


Hi Norma,

How's the sweetest little girl I know? 

This leaves me O.K. enough. I'm tired. I went on the beach last night. Went to a night club called the "Palace Cabaret." It was almost like state-side, only the girls looked different.

There were two orchestras that played American music all the time. 

They also had a floor show. It was pretty good, but nothing to write home about. There was a little boy (about 6 or 7 years old) who did a tap dance routine. He was the best of the bunch.

And today I've got a headache. Some day I'm gonna quit that "stuff." It's fun while you're drinking but it's bad the next day.

"Boy," I could go for some of that ham and trimmings. It's been a long time since I ate a real good meal.

So you are going to New York, "eh?" That's one place I hope to go while I'm in the Navy, but it looks like I'll never go any place but the Orient. And I'm getting pretty tired of these dirty, rotten places.

I've been listening to hillbilly records and some popular [music] this afternoon. We have some pretty good ones and when I stay aboard ship, that's about all there is to do.

So, you heard I was going steady with Mary L______, "eh?" Well, who could have thought of that. Don't congratulate me, because I'm not engaged to anyone, but don't blame Dot H______. Maybe someone told her I was. I don't think she would have made that up, someone must have told her. Maybe Mary L_____ did, I don't know. But as far as me going steady with someone, I'm not.

I'm too young to think of those things. HA And besides, who would go steady with me, anyway?

I hope Pat & Dot F_______ are better by now. It must have been a nasty accident.

By the way, are Dot H_______ and Janell P_____ the same as the Associated Press around there? They must go miles out of their way to dig up headlines.

I liked the Valentine real well. Sorry I couldn't send you one, but there just aren't any over here.

I miss you more than the Valentine says you miss me. I wish I were home now. I would take the trip to New York with you, that is, if I were invited.

In New York, we could have some fun. You probably know the town (you've been there enough) and know the good places to go. And what I don't know, I can learn fast.

So Nort L___ is getting out, "eh?" It is about time. He was one of those unlucky guys who got extended when the war started.

So, Charlene & Norma R_____ are getting married. Tell me, Norma, why is everybody getting married? Are they tired of living or something? HA All kidding aside, I can't see why they want to do things like that.

No, I didn't exactly go crazy when I saw the Japanese gals. Some of them look pretty good, but most of them would stop an eight day clock. And I think if I ever do get married, I would prefer a hillbilly.

The surprise was that liberty started at 12:00 noon instead of 4:00 in the afternoon while we're in port. I think we're the first ship to get that.

So, a man without a woman is like a ship without a sail, "eh?" It seems I've heard something like that before. I don't know about me having a motor HA. That was pretty good.

Well, Norma, I've got to sign off for this time. This is the longest letter I've written in a long time.

Answer soon.

Your Admiral,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...