Monday, July 6, 2015

Fighting The War In Paradise

USS Valley Forge
Nov. 9, 1951

Bird of Paradise Theatrical Half Sheet, ca. 1951
Hello Norma,

I got your letter a couple of days ago and was real glad to hear from you.

I'm still in the Hawaiian islands and it gets hotter all the time.  The only time it ever cools down is when it rains which is about every other day at this time of year.

You asked if I was working hard.  Not hard, just lots.  One day we worked 23 hours without knocking off and believe me, I was tired.

Last week, we lost two pilots and five planes.  

I always wondered how it would be to watch a man die, so now I know.

If you will excuse me the expression, it sort of reminds me of killing hogs back home.  I think everything has a right to live, but if someone has to die, better him than me.  And we can't let those things bother us.  If we did, we would go "nuts."  Within a couple of days after it happened (the crack up), we had forgotten about the whole thing.

Did you see the movie "Bird of Paradise?"  I went to the place where it was filmed.  It is a beautiful place with lots of volcanoes around.  [Editor's note: there are two films entitled "Bird of Paradise." One was filmed in 1931 and stars Joel McCrea, but I think Jim is referring to the version released a few months before this letter and starring Jeff Chandler.]

It's hard to explain what I do.  I could be truthful and say "nothing," but I am supposed to repair tow-bars, the ones we use to pull planes around on the deck.  There isn't much work, it's the hours that get us down.

Norma, anytime you want to use strong language in your letters, go ahead.  I like for people to tell me what they think and, besides, I'm a good listener.

I got an invitation to Hannah and Chuck's wedding, but I don't think I'll be able to make it.  HA! 

Tell them I wish them all the luck in the world.  

No, I never hear from Phyllis (M______ is her last name).  She may be married for all I know.  I don't know and care much less.  


Well, kid, I'll sign off.

Answer real soon.

Your mate,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...