Friday, July 3, 2015

Rings For Everyone

USS Valley Forge
Oct. 12, 1951

USS Valley Forge artwork from Jim's stationery, ca. 1951

Hello Norma,

How's the only girl I have?

This leaves me in the best of physical conditions.   I'm not going to mention mental conditions.  You might have other ideas on that.

Where were you all the time I was home, huh?  Don't you ever go anywhere, anymore?  I only saw you one time and I couldn't stop to chat then.

I sure had a swell time while I was home, but I sure wish I had had more time so I could have seen everyone and gone more places.

I got a letter from my buddy who is on the East Coast in the Navy.  He said he was getting married pretty soon, which reminds me, every girl I saw, almost, shoved a ring in my face.  Are you wearing one yet?

I think I'll get myself one.  I feel out of sorts without it.  HA! 

These guys are standing around joking the kid who is writing beside me, so don't be surprised at what I put in this.

We are "shoving off" for Pearl Harbor Monday morning.  I don't know how long we will be there, for probably 6 weeks, then we will go on to Japan.  

I wish we would go directly to Japan.  I don't think I'm going to like Pearl Harbor.

As soon as I got back, my two buddies started planning a farewell trip to Mexico.  I don't know if I will go or not.  I probably will.  I like wine, women and song too much to stay away.

They had a good-bye dance for the ship's crew in San Diego Wednesday night, but I didn't go.  If I had, the guys would have had to bring me home in a sponge and at those dances, there are always lots more boys than girls.

Well, Norma, I've got to sign off now.

Answer soon.

Your pal, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...