Saturday, July 25, 2015

"Just A Little Lovin' (Will Go A Long Way)"

April 2, 1952
Lost at sea

Sheet music cover, "Just A Little Lovin'," ca. 1948
Hello Norma, 

How's the sweetest, most lovable girl I know? 

Well, guess what, we're on our way into port again and believe me I'm ready. We've been out for thirty days this time and that's too much for me. And none of that "wild side of life" for me this time in. I'm gonna rest. I'm tired of them "Gooks" anyway.

Still nothing new over here, always the same old routine.

Before I forget, I want to thank you for those clippings you sent. I like to keep up with baseball and hockey and even if the news is a few days old it's better than nothing.

I haven't written you for almost a week now, but I'll write more often while we're in port. 

I got caught in a jet blast yesterday, that's the exhaust of a jet plane and it is powerful, believe me. It almost blew my clothes off me. HA

So now you're comparing me with that guy in the Fibber McGee and Molly show, "eh." I used to listen to them when I was a kid back on the farm in Tennessee, but I haven't heard them in a long time. No, I don't mind my new nickname. You can call me anything as long as you don't call me too late for chow. HA

I "sorta" envy you getting to sleep all day. I think when I come home I won't do anything but sleep. But I know when I come home I'll sleep less than I do now.

I started this last night but I didn't get to finish it. We had an easy day today. When we're on our way to Yokosuka, Japan, we don't do anything at all. This morning I worked for maybe thirty minutes and this afternoon I didn't do "nuttin". 

And the weather is lots warmer down here. We're off the coast of the Japanese home islands. It is a lot farther south than the operating zone we just left. 

If you look on a map, you will see Yokohoma Japan is only 35 miles from Yokosuka. Yokosuka maybe not be on the map, it's pretty small. Between Japan and Korea, you will see the Sea of Japan, that's where we're operating, north of the 38th parallel

[Editor's note: Jim was fascinated by geography. Growing up we had a hefty atlas kept at the ready for dinner discussions of current events and one of Jim's favorite Christmas presents from Norma was a globe. He kept it next to his favorite chair in the living room for easy and frequent perusal.]

I think Eddy Arnold is the best "hillbilly singer there is. I also like Hank Snow

[Editor's note: As long as I can remember, people have remarked on the physical resemblance between Jim and Eddy Arnold, but I never saw it. I asked him once if he thought he looked like Eddy Arnold. He just grinned and said, "Nope."]

Well, kid, I've got to sign off. I'll try to write again tomorrow.

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...