Thursday, July 30, 2015

Don't Never Say Nothing 'Bout Re-enlisting

April 25, 1952
Lost at sea

Clem Powell, another Valley Forge sailor who didn't like what he heard
Hi Norma,

I got two letters from you today and I had better answer them while I have time.

I sure was glad to get them. I don't know what any of us would do over here if it wasn't for mail. Go nuts, I guess.

We knocked off at 11:30 last night. I slept until noon today and do I feel better.

Two of our pilots went out yesterday and radioed back that they were having trouble with their planes and had to land on a base in Korea, but I'm pretty sure there was nothing wrong with their planes, all they wanted to do was to get drunk. All either one of them likes to do is fly and drink.


No, I'm not in port. We left port the 11th of this month.

That telephone strike can get serious if it lasts long enough. And I read in our own newspaper (The Valley Forge Press) that Truman had taken over the steel mills to keep them from striking.  I don't like the idea very much, but still they shouldn't strike. We need steel too much. I don't think any of those guys work 18 (and more) hours per day like we do. And I think they all make more than $100 per month (that's what I make), so if they don't like what they have, tell them to come over here. We'll trade places with them any time. Strikes are O.K. in peace time, but in times of war, they are no good.

No, I don't like night ball games as well as day games. The brand of ball isn't as good. The players are handicapped by lack of light.

You said that it rained on Easter Sunday. Well, that's nothing unusual. It always does. All the little girls get their new hats wet.

I was justing checking over one of your letters I got a few weeks ago where you said something about me re-enlisting. Don't never say nothing like that again. It scares me. I'll be in here long enough as it is, and from the way the world situations look, I'll be in the rest of my life, anyway.

Well, honey, I better sign off and hit my "basket."

Answer soon.

Love, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Hello From Boot Camp

James C. Parker, S.R. Co. 208 Great Lakes, Ill January 21, 1951 Scan of Jim's envelope Hello Norma, How's the kid? ...